Change your Firefox language to Akan/Twi
Hi there!. Have you ever wondered why all (or most softwares) come in English. Do you wonder whether a major software you use can come in a local dilect? Well then wonder no more, or just dont wonder too much . The localization department of Suuch (kasahorow), Ghana-based technology consulting company, recently launch an Akan/Twi language pack for Firefox.
Language Packs allow you to change the default language Mozilla products come in. It also comes with a dictionary to check your typing!. This language pack is wonderful and do check it out. Follow the steps below to Akanify your Firefox now! Use it and post a comment when you are done
- Download Locale Switcher, its an addon that makes it simple to change the browser’s locale (Click here to get it)
- Download the Akan Language pack form AMO (http://bit.ly/fxakan)
~ Select “Let me install this experimental add-on” .
~ Add to firefox is enabled, click to download.
- Click Restart Firefox when download completes.
- Click on Tools > Languages > Select Akan.
- Restart Firefox for changes to take effect: Close Firefox, click “Save and Quit”. Then open Firefox again.
- Voila! Firefox is now Akanified. Enjoy.
Checkout the screen shot below:
Firefox 3.6 with Akan locale enabled.
The guys at AnLoc(The African Network for Localisation) have also done a good job localizing Firefox 4 to Akan early. You can download Firefox 4 with out the box Akan support at http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html . I will put up a post on how to be involved with localization soon.